- Besan / Gram Flour ½ cup
- Butter Milk 1 & ½ Cup (preferable thin)
- Sesame Seeds 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
- Scraped Coconut 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves finally chopped
- Green chilly finally chopped (2 Nos)
- Asafoetida / Hing 2 pinches
- Curry leaves 1 stalk
- Turmeric Powder / Haldi 3 pinches
- Oil 3 tsp
- Mix Butter Milk, Gram Flour, Turmeric Powder and Salt to form batter.
- Heat oil in Pan and add batter.
- Stir continuously to make sure batter is evenly cooked and forms no lumps (approx. 8-10 mins).
- Pour semi thick batter in large plate/platform, and spread it as thin as possible.
- Wait till it becomes cool, then cut into wide strips.
- Role each strip gently and place it in serving dish.
- Heat Oil in small pan.
- Add Asafoetida, Mustard Seeds, Chopped Chillies and Curry Leaves.
- At the end add Sesame Seeds and immediately pour it on the rolled strips.
- Garnish with Chopped Coriander leaves and Coconut.
- Besan & Butter milk should be in 1:3
- To spice up the khandvi, add ginger and green chili paste while making batter.
- Spread the batter quickly to make it thin and of equal consistency (or it will be lumpy)
- Do not keep sesame in oil for long (or it will burn).
Suralichi Vadi (Maharashtrian Version of Khandvi) – after spreading the batter, stuff it with coconut and chopped coriander and then roll it.