Cauliflower or Gobi as we call it here, is a hit with the old and the children alike. Today lets see how we can make Gobi Tikka Masala at the comfort of our home and trust it ain’t tough. It is as easy as any other dish.
Gobi Tikka Masala
For the Tikka
Cauliflower : Florets of 1 Medium Cauliflower
Onion : 1 Diced
Capsicum green : 1 Diced
Tomato : 1, Flesh taken out and Diced
Carom or Ajwain : ¼ TSP
Gram Flour : 2 or 3 TSP
Oil : 2 Tsp
Turmeric Powder : ½ Tsp
Kashmiri Chili Powder : 1 TBSP
Garam Masala Powder : 1 Tsp
Coriander powder : 1 Tsp
Curd : ¼ Cup
Ginger-Garlic Paste :1 TBSP
Salt : to taste
Kasuri Methi /dried
Fenugreek leaves : ½ Tsp
Mustard Oil : 1 TBSP
Lemon juice : of half a lemon
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and put in boiling water and cook for couple of minutes to get rid of the impurities and the possible insects.
- Drain all the water from the cauliflower florets using a colander
- Put two spoons of oil in a pan, add carom/ajwain seeds and add two spoons of gram flour and saute well and switch off the flame.
- Transfer the mix into a large mixing bowl and add turmeric powder, chilli powder, Coriander powder, Garam masala, Kasuri methi, Curd, Ginger Garlic paste, salt, mustard oil ( this is very important as it adds a lot to the flavor ) and juice of half a lemon. Whisk all the ingredients to a fine paste.
- Add the cauliflower florets, diced Onions, Capsicum & Tomatoes in to the marination and mix well so that all the florets and vegetables are coated with the Tikka Masala
- Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees. Once preheating is done, brush a tray with some oil and put the Cauliflower, Onion, Capsicum & tomatoes marinated in the masala and grill for 30 Minutes .
- Remove from the oven once the tikka is done and set aside
For the Sauce
Sunflower Oil : 2 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds : 1 Tsp
Onion : 2 Nos Finely Chopped
Ginger-Garlic paste : 1 Tbsp
Tomato Puree : of 2 large tomatoes
Red Chilli Powder : 1 Tsp
Coriander powder : 1 Tbsp
Turmeric Powder : ½ Tsp
Garam masala : ½ Tsp
Salt : To taste
Cashew paste : 2 Tbsp
Kasuri Methi : ½ Tsp
Fresh Cream : ¼ Cup
Coriander leaves : A handful
- Put 2 Tbsp oil into a pan and add a teaspoon of cumin seeds. Saute well till a good aroma comes
- Add 2 finely chopped Onions, saute till golden brown and add 2 Tablespoons of ginger-garlic paste.
- Let it cook through until the raw taste of ginger and garlic goes off
- Add the puree of 2 large tomatoes and cook well so that it gives a nice bright colour to the sauce
- Now is the time to add chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Stir and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Follow it up with 2 tbsp of Cashew paste, so that the sauce becomes a bit rich n creamy and let it cook for few minutes.
- Now the sauce/gravy is ready .
- Add the tikkas which has been grilled in the oven to the gravy, add a pinch of crushed kasuri methi , add Fresh Cream and give it a slight mix and some fresh coriander leaves. Now we are good for plating.